View Single Post
Old 01-30-2017, 02:45 PM   #10
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: Sidemounts - 1 or 2 ?

I too vote 'no' on side mounts.

I much prefer the look of a Model A Ford without them. On '30-'31 Roadsters, I like the looks of the factory photo of the'31 Dlx. with the REAR mount 10X better than the '30 Dlx. with the side mount.

On a sedan they just look 'out-of-place' to my eye.

Our Roadster has dual side mounts and I hate them. Everybody and their brother-in-law in the 70's (when ours was first rebuilt) restoring Roadsters, lathered them up with dual side mounts. And cowl lights. Cowl lights on a '30-'31 OK on a '28-'29 NOT OK.

Our side mounts rattle and make extra racket. Forget putting the rear view mirror 'option' on one that is another waste of your time and money. They vibrate so badly there's no way they are useful. Plus if you stay with the stock lug set-up you will mar the paint on that newly re-painted fender wrestling the thing in and out.

Do as Marshall suggested. Go climb in and out of another's car w/ S.Mounts for a while, and you'll probably change your mind.

Side Mounts look great on a Packard or Cadillac or Lincoln from that era. A Model A Ford 'ain't' no Cadillac-Packard-Lincoln.

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 01-30-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote