View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 02:23 PM   #10
ericr

Default Re: Non fitting / defective aftermarket parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
I usually stay out of threads like this but felt compelled to respond to defend the fact that we have parts out there.

I think you and all of us should be thankful that we have parts out there for our almost 90 year old cars that are as good as they are and plentiful. Imagine if you couldn't pick up the phone and call Snyders, Brattons, Berts,Mikes, and others. You had to work with the parts you had and search out for better. What would that do to the price of them and ease of restoring and servicing the cars?

No, they all aren't perfect but then neither are we. Life is not unfortunately...
We should be thankful for the vendors and suppliers that have invested, taken the time, energy, and fortitude to supply what we have.. which is way better than they were 20 years ago or more. It may be those haven't been in it long enough to appreciate what we have now. Reproduction bodies, fenders, mechanical parts that almost every car out there wouldn't be on the road without them. If you don't like it, return it.... if it takes a little work to make it right and better than do it if you want.
You have a choice... restore your original or buy the reproduction if need be and desired. It's just that simple.

I for one am thankful for the resources we have and those that have gotten it done. I do think it's good to give constructive feedback to them on the issues and problems, and that hopefully improvements and certainly awareness to the issue be made.

It may be that "business 101" as you said might not deem it feesable to retool or remake parts that may in fact have been produced for many years. If you can do better at them than I would encourage you to do so and then that would be more "Business 101" and let market competition prevail.

Sure I struck a nerve here .. but I for one am thankful instead of critical.
Larry Shepard
I hear what you are saying and the realities you describe make sense, bit some people ask, for example, how a repro hood shelf for the '29s gets made with a mounting hole mis-located. Or how the repro light switch, for example, which as produced, seems not exactly the simplest thing to reproduce and must take some skill and detail , still doesn't get made to be workable.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote