View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 10:54 AM   #7
frank55a

Default Re: Pop out switch problem

It sounds like one or more of the small springs that push the lock wafers/pins are weak or broken. It has been a while since I have had one of the locks apart. Study the drawing of the ignition lock head. You do not need to completely remove the pop out from the car, just remove the dash and the head from the dash. As long as you have the key and can unlock the pop out you can remove the locking cylinder as follows: 1) disconnect power from the battery; 2) pull dash and remove ignition switch from the dash; 3) you should find a screw on the side of the head, this screw - generally the screw has a tooth washer under it; 4) at the top of the head you will see a small hole, under this hole is a plunger that is part of the locking mechanism - use a small pin punch or finishing nail to push the plunger down; 5) the locking mechanism should now be able to be removed from the head; 6) remove the bezel from the front where the key is inserted and the lock cylinder should be able to be removed; 7) the individual pins/wafers and springs should now be able to be removed. If a spring is damaged you should be able to get new ones from a regular locksmith.

Like I said it has been a while since I have worked on one of these pop-out heads but I think I covered everything, if not I am sure I will hear about it.

Good Luck,
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote