Thread: neutral switch
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2021, 08:55 PM   #12
paul2748

Default Re: neutral switch

Don't disable the neutral safety switch. It's there for a reason. Lots of people have smashed their cars into their garage wall doing that. Never mind those who ran over other people or ran into other cars. Bad advice to do this.

As far as parking in neutral, why? That is what park is for. Wear and tear on a car that is not used everyday? Ford had to design it so park was used all the time.

Lots of people went to the 58 switch. Should be no problem

if the switch is not working correctly, adjust or replace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
You can bypass the neutral safety switch altogether by opening the hood and disconnecting the two red wires from the switch at the base of the steering column. Then connect the two red wires together. The switch is only an "enable" switch. By connecting the two red wires together, you complete the circuit.
I would not recommend using a '58/58 or later NSS for a '55 Ford-O-Matic. The early Ford-O-Matics were designed with the NSS in mind so that you wouldn't need to shift from park-to-reverse-to-neutral-to drive. It was too much wear on internal parts and linkage components. Beginning in 1956, Fomoco started to introduce many more safety features on their cars. You have a parking brake, right? I always leave mine in neutral when I park and pull the parking brake on a level surface. If the car is parked on a downhill road, turn the front wheels into the curb, and do the opposite on an uphill road. That way, if the parking brake cable snaps, the car can't roll away.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote