View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #20
CWPASADENA

Default Re: Differential oil used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Chris, I think you're right about running 100% STP in the rear. I don't know why, but I wouldn't do it either. We had this discussion about Rear end/ transmission oils over in "Yesterday's Tractors" Ford N section. It seems that the ford N series tractors have to have GL1 oil, If not, the bronze bushings will corrode due to sulphur content. GL1 is hard to find. Like 600, you can't get it in the average AP store. GL 4 and 5 are much more common. Is there any bad effects from running say 75/140 or a comparable modern "mix"? I for the life of me, can't see any.
Regards, Terry
Terry,

Actually if anything, the modern gear lubes are probibly overkill for the Model A rear end. The modern Lubes are designed to be used with Hypoid Gears which require more Extream Pressure additives to prevent scuffing and wear of the teeth. Model As as well as Banjo Rear ends used in Fords and Mercurys up thru 1948 all have Spiral Bevel Gears which do not require the same Extream Pressure Additives as the Hypoid Gears do. The additional Extream Pressure Additives will not harm anything.

Again, this is just my opinion.

I have no desire to get into a "Contest" about "you have to use a certain lub or your rear end will self distruct". I like to use scientific information and products that have been developed thru the years and for specific applications.

I am the one who uses the Modern very thin Manual Transmission Oil in the early Ford Transmissions (with with syncronized second and third) with very good success. This lubricant has been developed thru the years specifically for Brass Blocker Ring Transmissions. This techonology was not available when Henry first built the things. The only problem I have found is you have to have the transmission absolutely leak free of the stuff will run out on the floor. The thinner oil allows the blocker rings to contact the mating clutch surface on the gear much better and results in much better syncronization of the syncro sleeve and the gear. Much smoother shifts. Try it sometime, worst case, if you do not like it, take it out and replace with 600W or what you were using before.

Note, this stuff is NOT necesarially good for differentials.

Again, Just my opinion,

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote