View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #16
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Differential oil used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank The Plumber View Post
i would never knock the stp, just the grits, pablum and sawdust.
Frank, I think grits taste nasty too!! Seems like a good use for them.

Back to Josh's original question, the biggest thing I think you will find between using 80/90 or 85/140 vs. 600 is the slight roar you will hear on the "coast-side" of the gear.

To calm your concerns though, let's think this through. You installed a newly manufactured ring & pinion manufactured with modern materials and methods which are suitable for use with the modern 80/90 lubes. Both the carrier & pinion bearings & races are modern-type units that also are ok using modern rear end lubes. The axle housing seals along with the driveline seal are all modern-type seals that are compatible with the R.E. lube your mechanic used. So the only real concern is if your mechanic trued-up the axle housing flanges where they connect to the differential (banjo) housing. A thinner oil/grease will seep through the gaskets and leak on your floor whereas the thicker lubes will not.

The final thing you can do to calm your concerns is to continuously drive the vehicle for 5 minutes on the road and pull over to a safe spot where you can make an inspection. Climb under the vehicle and place your hand on the axle housing tube and check the temperature. Next slide your hand over to the outside of the axle housing where the differential bearing races are and feel the temperature there. Do this on both sides of the carrier bearings and in the pinion bearing area. If there is no discernable difference between the temps, you know the bearings are satisfied with the lube.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote