View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #32
DavidG

Default Re: 33 Phaeton questions from Sri Lanka

ceejay,

The two holes on either side of the ash tray (absent from your dash as it is a standard and present on Ted's as it is a deluxe) are for the choke and throttle controls. In the case of a V-8, both these controls were solid rods operating through color-coded rubber grommets in the dash (and through different black grommets where the rods pass through the firewall). In the case of a car with a four-cylinder engine, both the throttle and choke controls were cable operated and the ends of the cables' casings were attached to chrome-plated threaded ferrules that were attached to the dash with large hex nuts and lock washers. You likely know all that already.

Looking at the incomplete set of photos that I have in this computer, I would have to conclude that Ted's dash was originally used with a V-8 engine as none of the extra holes correspond to those in the dash from the four-cylinder RHD roadster that I had. (The problem remains that without my other photos, I cannot ascertain which of its extra holes corresponds to the starter control cable -- its extra holes being different from Ted's dash's extra holes).

I also have a '33 Ford of Canada chassis parts catalogue that lists both LHD and RHD parts, but alas, also not where I'm at.

Given that Ford of Britain produced four-cylinder engines at Dagenham, it is likely that given your engine number your engine was produced there with the rest of the car coming from Canada. That is the same engine sourcing pattern as was the case with operations in Australia at that time (four-cylinder engines from England and V-8s from Canada).

It is likely that your car was assembled in India as Ford of India had a modest assembly plant at that time to assemble KD kits from Canada. (We know that in the case of vehicles destined for Nepal that the those kits were only partially assembled as the pieces were all carried by bearers through the Himalayas and final assembly was performed by the dealer in Katmandu as there were no roads through the mountains at that time.)

Ceylon of course did not pose the same logistical challenge of being landlocked, like Nepal.

I realize that nothing above yet brings an answer to your basic question; sorry about that.

David
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote