View Single Post
Old 07-20-2020, 11:05 AM   #19
Benson

Default Re: Rear Block Babbitt

1. You say that you filed the ends of the seal (baffle) this should not be necessary.

2. The crank seems to be rubbing on the seal (baffle).

3. If it was necessary to file the ends of the seal (baffle) then that tells me that there is some foreign matter like melted babbitt from previous rebuild that was left in the groove that the seal (baffle) is installed into.

4. Remove seal (baffle) and look see if something is in the groove which is blocking seal from seating all the way into groove. Caution heating the cap or block to remove the obstruction might ruin the babbitt bearing.

5. Seal might be a reject part. Was the seal purchased from a legitimate dealer or did it come from Ebay or swap meet?

Sometimes a part is for sale on Ebay / swap because there is problem with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2935ford View Post
PC/SR
Thanks for your reply.
If you mean the second picture of my posts is not a rear cap, sorry, yes it is.

You are correct there is something seriously wrong.
The post with the 2 pics shows the old seal on the bottom and new seal above. The pic to the right I propped the seal between two rod caps.

The babbitt in the rear main block oil groove has been cut wrong and another groove cut in an attempt to correct. I suppose this will work.

When seating the new seal in the block groove we had to file both ends of the seal flush to the block surface as the new seal was to long. This done we the place plastigauge on the crank, replaced the rear cap and torqued to 80 ft lbs. This gave us a reading within spec almost .0015”. This is when trying to turn the crank it was locked tight.
We then discovered the seal lip was in hard contact with the crank end behind the slinger.
So it will be necessary to reduce this area on the seal to correct this as shown with red in in post #6.
As mentioned, I bought this A as is and know nothing about its engine rebuild.
In this area where I live there is no one who does babbitt work.
I will check out Herm’s post.
Pictured below is the rear main cap.

Last edited by Benson; 07-21-2020 at 07:18 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote