View Single Post
Old 12-06-2020, 07:02 AM   #945
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

The stories I write in the forum I also send to selected friends. That includes my friend Cam. Both he and his son fly. Below is an email I received from Cam and I reckon it may be of interest to you, the forum readers. I don’t feel uncomfortable publishing this as it is neither personal or confidential.

Hi Gary,
I’ve become aware that a number of antique aircraft and replicas are powered by Ford A-model engines, radiator and all. What’s so special that makes them suitable for aviation use? Low revs, or high torque?
Interested in your response, and also why you are so smitten by this particular vehicle!

The vehicle is of course the Model A.
It was only recently I learned that the “Pietenpol” and its Model A power plant. A local pilot took a snap of it at the well-known Oshkosh airshow which bought it to my attention. And it’s only since you asked the question, I’ve gone to the internet to enquire about it.
I see the Pietenpol first flew in 1928 and I would guess the Model A engine was the best available at the time. It is 40hp. I also see that there are several other aeroplanes with the A engine. What I have difficulty understanding in the Pietenpol is why the radiator is directly infront of the pilot. I don’t imagine the pilot gets a view through the airflow ducts in the radiator.
I never had a liking for antique aeroplanes. But Model. A’s yes. I love the body lines. I like the fact they are American and that means simplicity as compared to English complexities. I have little mechanical skill and the little I have goes much further on the A.
When I was young I envied the older kids who owned Model A's. It was the discarded family car at that time. With the very distinctive exhaust sound and the oogah horn they also seemed to be having so much fun. My generation bought Morris Minors and I had an Austin 35 on loan from my dotting grandmother and for that and her never-ending generosity I loved her but never her Austin 35.

pictured is the Pietenpol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7be669ee95efd4ccc8c7140b5c47730a.jpg (54.5 KB, 12 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 12-06-2020 at 07:08 AM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote