Thread: Engine Bearings
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
larrys40

Default Re: Engine Bearings

Jimmy,

I understand your question.. and the fact is, that it takes an incredible amount of experience, skill, and equipment to do the process. Even with all of that it is difficult at times. I think you were asking along the lines of probably doing a couple of your own.. if that is the case you are much better hiring that task done... as they will know what to do, how to do it, and will give you a block/crank that should be clearanced properly and give you good service. If you can find the fixtures ( I have some for sale) and the rest of the equipment and get through the learning curve with some practice tries, you may be able to do it but it probably won't be what an experienced babbit job from someone who does it would be like..... so in the long run it comes back to ... a job you're better off hiring done.

From a standpoint of one who does do it...on an as needed basis... and speaking from the standpoint of those like me who do it.... some might seem snippy in answering you just from the standpoint that some think that it really doesn't take that much and isn't that big of a deal to do 9those who don't do it)... which is far from the fact of truth. Most who do it have obtained ( many times over a number of years) the equipment at great expense, practiced, failed, practiced again, finally accomplished, and have taken much skill, patience, money, and time to learn the art... and it is just that..

Hopefully that helps you have a grasp on it and a take from where some of the other guys are coming from.. and gives you some direction in your path.

Larry Shepard
St. Charles, MO
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote