View Single Post
Old 07-26-2015, 01:04 PM   #236
mrcorvair

Default Re: F150 tranny with overdrive

I have read all of the replies here. My senior mind is awash with all the comments.
I want to try to use the appropriate T5 trans. I realize this thread started out as a F150 thread but thru out were comments about using the T5. First let me specify the constraints:
1)No cutting or at the very least very minimum cutting of the center crossmember.
2)Retain use of the original mechanical brakes with right hand Ebrake.
3)No alteration of the brake crossshaft.
4)Simple or no change to brake and clutch pedal.
5)Use of stock flywheel
6)Retention of stock torque tube and rear radius rods. Shortening ok.

Specifically if someone could answer the following questions I would be most grateful.
1)Which T5's have the shifter as far forward as possible? Is the S-10 4wd the only recommended one to use? I've also heard of a narrow pattern Ford with a GM tailshaft housing.
2)Is the AA bellhousing the preferred on or should it be the Macs or Vintage Precision? What are the tradeoffs?
3)How far will the shifter be moved back? What shifter is used?
4)What is required at the back of the transmission to adapt to the torque tube? Does someone make a torque tube adapter?
5)What is required at the front of the transmission i.e. clutch, pressure plate, to bearing, and front transmission snout?
6)What would be the pedal arrangement?
7)Does someone make a kit that addresses all the issues raised here?

I realize I'm asking a lot here but I would think that a lot of people would benefit from a clear and concise path to follow to make this conversion. Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited by mrcorvair; 07-26-2015 at 02:06 PM.
mrcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote