View Single Post
Old 09-08-2016, 08:38 PM   #33
Synchro909

Default Re: Intermittent Overheating at Highway Speeds

OK, I'm going to hi jack this thread at least for a moment. I ruined an engine recently when the temp went through the roof within a few hundred metres. The problem with an ordinary gauge is that it doesn't let you know what is going on unless you happen to look at it at just the right time. I figure an audible alarm is what I need.
Because I don't like the look of these in a Model A, I intend hiding it but the buzzer will still be a savoir. Has anybody any experience with these?
http://www.thermomart.com/engine-wat...n-Alarm-Sensor

I can't get a reply to an enquiry through their web site and I can't ring them - maybe something to do with being in another country from them. They are in Canada
In the case of my ruined engine, a so called leakless water pump decided it was not going to stay leakless. As a result, on a medium length trip, the coolant level dropped till the water pump impeller was just dipping the coolant and spraying the sensor in the water neck so the gauge got a reading but there was not enough to circulate through the radiator and the rest is history (like the motor). The devices in the link above don't rely on the coolant for a reading and respond very quickly to a change. The owner can set a temperature at which the buzzer will sound a warning so overheating will not be an issue.
If there is a barner out there who is prepared to help me in this, I would very much appreciate it.