View Single Post
Old 07-29-2017, 07:20 AM   #15
Frank Miller

Default Re: 49-53 camshaft bolt pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSFAST View Post
Hi "mOS", I'm in the engine building business and don't really see a need for anything like that tool. This is NOT meant as a "knock" on the tool itself, just whether or not it would really be needed.

I have exactly 3 flathead builds going on at the moment, 2 8BA's and a 59, and don't see a "spot" for it anywhere.

Also, if the crank IS in the block it's much simpler to make 2 turns (following the firing order) and be done. This is really easy BEFORE the pistons/rods/rings are ever installed. We are talking while a full rebuild is in progress here.

I'm not trying to talk you out of going forward, just wouldn't be for us here!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. One drawback also, it would not necessarily show the "lowest" point on the heel of the cam lobe. This would have an overall effect on the actual lash number! We find variations of .003"/.004" (new cams) throughout the base circle on the heels of many cams?
Now the question is, which part of the heel do you set the clearance to? Time consuming for sure but moving the cam a few degrees in either direction and checking the clearances find the low spot. If I found the base circle off 3 to 4 thousandths I would be wondering what else was wrong. These are solid cams where it might not matter as much as a hydraulic cam running at zero lash.