View Single Post
Old 10-28-2020, 11:32 AM   #9
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Can I use new cast brake drums with old shoes?

If the shoes aren't worn down to the point that the rivets are exposed , the shoes could possibly be reused . If you are trying to rebuild the brakes to like new condition, all worn parts should be replaced . I always grind or file a tapered edge on the ends of the brake lining .The tapered edges on the lining will make it easier or possible to install the drums over the relined brake shoes . The square ends of the brake lining will have a tendency to slightly kick outwards when the rivets are installed and the tapered ends of the lining will help prevent interference and drag . Many without model A brake experience will have difficulty installing the brake drums after installing new brake lining . In many cases , when the lining wears enough that it needs to be replaced , the brake tracks will have a dip worn on the tracks where the roller pins ride . The worn spots on the tracks can be welded up in the worn spots or the tracks can be replaced . Worn spots on the brake tracks will cause the shoes to be out of center and the drums won't fit back over the shoes . I have found that replacing the tracks is no guarantee that the drums will fit over the relined shoes . It usually takes a bit of work getting the shoes centered again .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote