View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #15
Earle

Default Re: New or recored Radiator ?

Clarification, please: I've read a lot of good reports and glowing customer comments on Brass Works new radiators lately on the Barn. Now, on this thread, I'm hearing about staying away from new reproduction radiators - materials and construction are inferior to originals, etc.

Isn't the Brass works radiator a "new repro?" And isn't it supposed to be made of the best materials, to the original thicknesses, specs and construction methods, etc.?

I'm not clear, then, on why someone would pass up the Brass Works unit and all of its fresh, new materials and great construction for a re-cored original where you'd still have the old worn, corroded, dinged, residue-coated tube walls - and loose fin-to-tube connections(?), etc.

Straighten me out on something: Doesn't the "rodding" process involve pushing metal rods, of the largest possible diameter, through each tube to "clean out" the tube I.D. and remove all of the accumulated, caked-on debris? If that's all it is, then you're simply "poking a hole" through the clogs and debris. You're NOT thoroughly "scrubbing" the tube walls really clean down to the bare metal everywhere - are you?? So, there will still be some impediment to optimum heat transfer compared to new tubes because of the remaining residue on the tube I.D. walls. And you could still have undetected very thin worn, corroded wall areas that just haven't broken through yet.

For a couple hundred extra bucks, it seems that the best investment for your time, money and radiator performance would be the new radiator (If it is up to the quality level that I hear the Brass Works ones are).

Is my reasoning and understanding of what "rodding" does incorrect? And what wall-thicknesses do you know you're actually getting in an original radiator that's simply been "resussitated" by rodding?

If immediate cost is the central issue then go for the rodded original. But be prepared to possibly be changing out a radiator again sooner than you would if you'd gone with the well-built new unit in the first place.

Thanks,

Earle
Earle is offline   Reply With Quote