View Single Post
Old 11-29-2020, 10:55 AM   #10
rotorwrench

Default Re: Gears 1930 model A

Shifting a non synchronized transmission is an acquired skill that gets better with understanding and time. Double clutching can help but it's also a lot about getting used to the rpms matching for the different gear selections. First off, it's important to have good hearing and recognition of the sound of the various rpms that a particular gear likes to start out at. Just letting off the throttle allows the countershaft cluster to slow down but you don't really need to let it stop turning. It just needs to be allowed to slow enough to match the rpm that the next gear needs to match it.

I know that this may not make much sense to folks but a smooth shift will only happen when the cluster is going the same speed as the main output shaft. I learned to drive in an old 1952 F3 pickup with the non-syncho 4-speed and I was able to anticipate the correct rpms for upshift and downshift after I got used to it. Low gear was the only one that I seldom ever tried to downshift to because it wasn't practical If I was coming to a stop anyway.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote