View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 08:24 AM   #28
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: 6 volt or 12 volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post
This is the first time I have heard this. Are you saying that when the battery is so dead it won't allow the coil to create a spark, a generator will supply enough juice at hand cranking speed, while an alternator won't?
With a diode cutout the generator can make close to 4 volts into the system , not have to get over 6 volts to close a reley cutout, I have hand crank started the car with the battery dissconnected, you do have to flip it over pretty quick----

I have been accused of having a12 volt system, my car cranks fast, the lights are bright, from my experience the generator is morereliable than the alternator---the chevy truck that I have had 35 years has had the alternator fail 3 times in 30 years, the model A generator it's been over 40 years without doing anything ezcept a few drops of oil ----

the idea of changing to something you can get at "any parts store" instead of the reliability of proper restoration ----I guess it gives a reason to occupy time and travel from parts store to parts store
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote