View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 06:29 PM   #13
Zeke3

Default Re: 1940 merc & ford x member replace

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Back in the '60s (before the term "Street Rod" was invented), virtually nobody was putting a 289 or a 260 in an old Ford "hot rod". They were mostly Chevies, with a few Olds, Pontiacs and Caddy thrown-in occasionally. DD
I grew up a Ford man back in the 60's. There was a Mercury dealer two blocks from my house and a Ford dealer three. I kept up with the latest models by cruising through the back lots every week or so, especially when it was model changeover time.

My older brother bought a 1937 Ford coupe in 1964 with a 1952 Merc flathead engine. I inherited it in 1965 when he went off to college, and needed more reliable transportation. In 1967 I put a 289 hi-po engine in the coupe, before I went off to the Navy. It was a tight fit, but it worked well enough that my younger brother drove it through his college years. I guess I am glad no one told me it wouldn't fit, so count me as virtually nobody.

PS: you can see the patch to the firewall in my avatar to correct the sins that I was responsible for that engine swap.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote