Thread: Rusty Coolant
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2020, 12:26 PM   #19
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Rusty Coolant

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
I used vinegar and ran it for a week, drained and backflushed thoroughly, refit the hoses and filled with distilled water and put in a cup of backing soda, ran another week and did the backflush again. That's been a year or so and I have a rusty froth at the radiator cap. I have put another cup of baking soda in the radiator and plan to run it for some time more, I haven't lost any water, but don't want the rust problem to return. Any other tips? I had put some type of rust inhibitor in the last time, generic off the shelf and I don't recall the name tho' I may have used a Red Line product as my parts house carries all their stuff.

I do not know if NAPA 1300 Rust inhibitor is better, but is frequently mentioned.

I run 50/50 antifreeze with a leakless water pump. Decided to do so after talking to a couple of radiator guys - told me that even with Water and Rust Inhibitor that eventually rust devolops, Antifreeze - no rust. Have been told that Water Wetter/similar products do not do a great job of Rust prevention.

Down side of antifreeze is if it leaks in the motor bay, what a mess and can damage paint. There is a belief that antifreeze leaking into the oil causes quick damage to the bearings , and that water leaking into the oil takes longer to damage the bearings - I do not know if true or not.

So each has its advantages/disadvantages.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote