View Single Post
Old 04-11-2020, 03:12 PM   #5
Mulletwagon

Default Re: 1931 rear spring & perch bushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
Bratton's sell a 14.5mm drill bit for the purpose of using it as a reamer once a new bushing has been installed, if need be. I bought one to use for checking the fit, however Bratton's bushings do not need to be reamed, they are always a good fit. I don't see how a 14.5mm drill bit would drill out the old bushing.

The old shackle bushings can usually be driven out with a tool made from an old pedal or clutch release shaft turned down to fit inside the bushing with the outside edge the same size as the outside diameter of the bushing. A hammer will usually drive them out, for the stubborn ones I occasionally have had to use the shop press.

Bratton's sell such as tool, part number 5881 $8.90 described as a spring and perch bushing driver.

Tom Endy
All true !! I would add that the brake backing plates must be removed to achieve direct acess to the bushing bores when hammering out the old bushings. Takes a few good wallops to get the bushings moving but they will come out. My new bushings did not need to be reamed but the bushings in the new spring needed reaming before the shackle shafts would fit.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote