Thread: Bronze Guides
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2016, 04:00 PM   #14
Ronnie

Default Re: Bronze Guides

New guides are much cheaper than going to liners.The bronze liners are a bench racer crowd topic.Not really anything that a 85 hp flathead will require.Yes they work they have a good lifespan and reliable.There is also a crowd out there in the machine shop industry that wouldn't take bronze guides if they were free.They have sucess with cast and will never change as they are dyed in the wool anti bronze.I have called on 100's of shops over the years and have been involved with many conversations about guide repair.There isn't much of an argument as to what does better.The valve hanging is usually to long storage and little driving. I have done 100's of liners without fault but with today's oils a filter system and maintenance scheduling the cast guides will run with the best of them in a flathead.I like the liners if the guides are worn out of spec and the new ones aren't readily available the if the customer wants liners that is his call not mine.Supplying guides to a costumer that will do his own valves and seats leaves a lot to desire as the average owner won't have enough quality equipment to get a seat with little to no runout with a guide that is a slip fit at best in the block.Any guide repair will suffer from a seat that that is out of runout spec's.In any engines I have been involved in i glue the guide in and proceed with a normal valve 3 angle and assemble like a overhead valve head with a c compressor and the correct jaws and yes there are tight quarters to work in but the seat runout is on the money every time just like any other interference press fit guide. Machining the guide for seals is a good option as well.
Just my 2¢

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote