Thread: Bronze Guides
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #6
GOSFAST

Default Re: Bronze Guides

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
Ive tried a few different aproaches of this and so far a collet chuck in the lathe is fastest.
If you have a revolver lathe with a collet chuck its way faster then this fixture youre working on...just my 2c.
Height of clip could be fixed in the same setup if in the lathe to so a win-win.
Hi "murre", we have been getting $160.00 to line them/size them/cut them (8) for seals, supply 8 seals, and ship back to the customer. There's not much left in my pocket after laying out for the liners, the seals, and the frgt at that $160.00? We have a small "break" now for not doing the seals and for doing multiples of 16 (2 or more sets for instance).

Doing one guide at a time in our present (single) fixture at the $160.00 number I'm OK. I can clear enough at that price to cover my "salary", along with the liners, the seals, and the shipping, to "stay the course". I'm in this business over 50 years now and have two problems at the moment, first, there are occasions where I don't have lots of time to do any of this guide work AND build our engines (more help won't solve it, trust me, it'll give me more headaches than the money/time would be worth), and second, I know how the financial situation is now with many people and that $160.00 would limit the amount you'll do.

I'm looking to cut the time/labor/cost spent on this operation enough to pass the savings down over here. I know from my contacts more would use these guides with a even a slightly better price, they downright work really well.

Here's where I am now, as of an hour ago, I can ream ALL 16 in under 8 minutes to accept the liners, next the liners get installed, this is very quick for all 16 with the dedicated driver and an air-hammer, they are now ready to broach (also using the air-hammer) to the finished size with the correct size broaches. Normally they need 2 or 3 passes on the broaching. Simply pressing in the liners and reaming/honing is NOT an option, not the best method! Much like wrist-pin bushings in rods. They should be broached at least once.

I need to have all 16 of these "floor-to-floor" (so to speak) in less than 1 hour. To even-up all 16 height's on the spring register's (separate lathe operation) takes under 10 minutes. Cutting for the seals (if required) would be done directly after the sizing while still in the fixture.

(Add) If anyone here can help I would still appreciate the sizes I was looking for in the initial post??

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Well the plan's a good one, just need to exercise it now. Anyone involved here with guides I will follow up on in the next day or so. I'm hoping it works more than you all.
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote