View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 08:22 PM   #20
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: Rebuilding an Ardun OHV 1954 - 1956

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Thanks for the info! Another question: I read a magazine article years ago that stated the ARDUN head was originally designed for New York city garbage trucks that were under powered and overheating. Is that correct? I assume that no heads actually ended up on these trucks.

There was never any truth to that story about the garbage trucks. The only press release published about the ARDUN engine company did state a new truck engine conversion using revolutionary aircraft techniques this was printed in the New York Times in I believe in 1950 or 1951.
The conversion was marketed to help gain horse power and torque for a truck conversion. It may be possible a few sets of head's were used in some type of commercial application but I and others have never seen any picture's from that era showing an ARDUN in a truck. Shortly after that New York Times article the company went out of business. The remaining heads were then sold to two company's. C&T in California and the the Granetelli brothers speed shop also know as Grancor. From that point on the heads were now being purchased by racers and Hot Rodders ending up at Bonneville and Lakes speed trials races and latter on drag strips and at Indy plus other forms of roundy round races.

Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH

Last edited by Ronnieroadster; 03-26-2021 at 08:30 PM.
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote