View Single Post
Old 03-19-2021, 11:17 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Covid excuse to play hookey

Edit: Hey if this makes no sense look up thread '40 front fenders'......Got my second vaccine shot yesterday, told all the good folks waiting patiently for their furniture stuff I had to 'recuperate'. Finally I had two days off to get my modified bed onto my mongrel toyota landcruiser chassis. Yes, I have to come clean to the purists, I had to make some wheel house tubs because a 42-47 bed is too wide for the track width. But I have known that forever as I have planned this out for at least 25 years. I had a couple of galvanized boat trailer fenders sitting around so I split one down the middle. Nice radiused corner. Had a straight gym locker door with a perfect 90 degree flange which made two 'half moon' pieces to fill in the arches. To fit the 1/2 ton jailbar bed to the Japanese chassis I fabbed up a 'ladder ' type affair. A subframe that mates two different worlds together.. Picture a couple of 6 1/2' pieces of 1 x 2 heavy wall rectangular tubing on edge, 42 1/2 " apart running fore and aft. Same material running thwartship across them, but on the flat. . About 2' centers. 1/2" coupling nuts (for allthread) welded to this subframe at the toyota chassis factory mounts. My kid picked it up with the old Case and it bolted right on. :Pretty good two days and hey, lookie that ,now it's the weekend. Some may look at this project as some kind of half assed ratrod, but I assure you no navajo blankets were used on the seats, no hand grenades for the shifter. No whitewalls of any width, no red wheels, no flat black anywhere, and best of all not a single skull and crossbones or spider web anywhere. I just like making stuff with what I have on hand. BTW, IHC 3/4 ton rear fenders. Funny how much they match the paint on the ford bed that came from 150 miles away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nf2.JPG (106.9 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg rf subframe paint.jpg (101.8 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg rf bedf ht at controls.jpg (118.5 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg rf ht house behind.jpg (119.6 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg rf bed finalized.jpg (104.1 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg GBS intl fenders good.JPG (132.4 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg gbs intl fenders three quarter front.JPG (142.9 KB, 222 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 03-19-2021 at 11:26 PM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote