View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #10
deuce_roadster

Default Re: OT computer question for the wizzards

As stated above, a landline is your worst way of connecting to the internet. It is probably a DSL line. DSL relies on hardware that is at intervals along your phone line wires. If something is degrading the signal even a little, your phone won't know the difference but your computer communications are at an exponential faster rate. Think of it happening in little bursts called which are called packets. If a packet arrives at its next station incomplete, it resends it from the last station. This slows the communication down as packets get resent. What happens at the website you are trying to connect to is the server that hosts the website "times you out" as it doesn't get a good connection. Different places have different timeout settings. We are talking about an amount of time a human couldn't perceive. Your computer operates at millions of operations per second. My point is the problem could be somewhere along the wires if everything on your computer checks out. I would take the computer to a different location and see if it works as you expect. Another possibility is that an operating system update reset something. Good luck, I know it can be frustration.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote