View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 11:50 AM   #17
JayJay

Default Re: Fuel adjustment system question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
That's VERY good info...
Normally, if the area is unmolested, wouldn't you be able to see a machined seat also?
Maybe it will look like a machined seat, maybe not. The seat may have gotten so corroded over the years, or so many gaskets with bits and pieces stuck, that it looks to be cast and not machined. That's one reason I've bead-blasted (carefully, and washed thoroughly afterwards) and scraped the GAV chambers, to be sure I'm looking at virgin iron.

Also - that's the same tap size as the other jets in the carburetor. Not specific to the GAV seat.

I'd be hesitant to assume that anything on a 90-year old carburetor is "unmolested", especially since you've already noted the presence of helicoils. And again, in 90 years, don't assume that the carb you have on the car is the original. Used to be that any auto parts store (e.g., Pep Boys, Western Auto, etc.) would sell rebuilt Zenith. You took in a core and you took away the rebuild. Maybe the rebuilder knew what he was doing, maybe it was a high school kid plunking in parts without any understanding.

That's part of the challenge of owning these things...

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan

Last edited by JayJay; 03-03-2021 at 11:57 AM.
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote