View Single Post
Old 03-06-2021, 09:57 AM   #27
HD Rider

Default Re: 30 Coupe Cooling question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Where does the extra water come from to pile up in the top tank? The ONLY water the pump can move comes from the bottom of the radiator and that water comes from the top of the radiator which means there will be room for it at the top no matter how restricted the core may be. The only way a "pile up" could happen is if there were extra volume added tot he coolant - say, steam from boiling or exhaust gasses entering the cooling system.
All that talk of the coolant doesn't spend enough time in the radiator to cool off properly and cut down impellor blades is lunacy IMO.
I've heard it said that a restricted radiator flow causes the water pump to cavitate and whip foam into the coolant. I doubt this theory because without a bypass, this is exactly what a thermostat does.
I've also heard that propylene glycol based anti-freeze solutions such as Sierra do not have the same tendency to foam. I have no opinion on this as I have no comparison.
My Dad's A does foam the coolant at highway speeds (45-50mph). Driving around in town I never has a problem.
HD Rider is offline   Reply With Quote