View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 11:38 PM   #8
30standardcoupe

Default Re: 30 Coupe Cooling question

Aapco Gauge, 160 degree thermostat, reads 160 on gauge

When I got the radiator back the overflow tube was to tall for the cap to work so I had to cut the tube down see pic.

As far as how much I fill it, before I drive it, I fill it full, I know its going to leak out, but I don't want to run it out of coolant.

Tonight driving it home from a club function, it was hitting 190 on the temp gauge, and the engine started running rough, pulled off, put a gallon of water in it, the temp came down to 160, ran fine till I got home.

As far as a head gasket, I don't ever have steam coming out of the tail pipe and my sparkplugs are black which tells me its running rich, but to me that says no water or coolant is in the cylinders, at least that's my thoughts/ hope. I also just did an oil change on it, and there was no coolant in the oil.

As far as why I put a T-stat in, to me warmer engine, it just seems to run better, and its warmer inside the car.

BTW, Thank you everyone for the ideas! Keep them coming! I don't want to come across as debating or argumentative if it does I apologize.

TIA
Clay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20210303_205618.jpg (54.4 KB, 41 views)
30standardcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote