View Single Post
Old 01-01-2022, 05:26 AM   #17
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Looking for '49 wheat pennies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51woodie View Post
I'm sure this question was asked many times, so what is the purpose of blocking off the crossovers? Less heat on the carb?

The pennies in the manifold reminded me of to two dimes under the bridge of my dad's fiddle. When asked why they were there, he would reply, "So I can say I'll never be broke."
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
I must have missed the part explaining why you would want to block those passages. I think cold performance would be better with that crossover working the way it was designed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
"RalphG", it sounds like you're one of "those guys" who think the Ford engineers knew what they were doing. I'm one as well.

I don't see why this is necessary except for an all-out race engine. The proper manifolds for those don't have a provision for manifold heat anyway, so why bother?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
I would think that hot exhaust air would aid in preventing carburetor icing which can be a real problem here. My 52 Merc still has the heat riser valve in the right hand exhaust manifold.
Blocking the heat riser holes with pennies so far as I know never had anything to do with improving or modifying engine performance.
It was a fad that intended to change the exhaust sound that some thought was "cool"