Thread: Model A CRASH??
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2016, 03:26 AM   #157
Cornishman

Default Re: Model A CRASH??

I believe that the big difference between before 1950 and nowadays in much of Europe is simply traffic density. Perhaps that is not something that affects too many Americans. I bought my Model A to enjoy the same roads that are ideal for my motorcycle, the traffic free, open country lanes that crisis cross France. I have no interest in driving it on fast roads surrounded by modern traffic. Luckily for me I have that choice. In terms of safety I consider the Model A to have far more in common with my motorcycle than either of my modern, high performance German cars. On the motorcycle I ride quite defensively, every time I set out on it I am aware that I am vulnerable; vulnerable in any incident involving another road user or animal; vulnerable in terms of tyre grip on changing road surfaces; vulnerable because my road speed might be misunderstood by other road users. As a result of this vulnerability I ride with 100% concentration, I take responsibility for my safety far beyond that required by the law. The reward is well worth the input, and my trips out on the bike usually bring a smile to my face. That smile is harder to find on a busy road surrounded by heavy lorries and drivers who are wafting along in their automatic, cruise controlled cars listening to their chosen music in armchair comfort, who even if they are not talking on the phone, are not really focussed on their driving. I'm hoping that the Model A will give me the same levels of satisfaction as the motorcycle on the quiet country roads that I will use it on. I will also be aware that, like on the motorcycle, any accident either with another vehicle or simply by running off the road is likely to be painful for both me and the car.
Cornishman is offline   Reply With Quote