View Single Post
Old 11-16-2020, 12:56 PM   #921
Jim Brierley

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Not related to aircraft, but sort of a continuation of the above posting, and maybe a type of aircraft? These were Corporal missiles, maybe 25' long and about a 25 mile range. If the missiles were completely gone-thru, with new seals installed, the were about perfect. They fired a couple that were just taken out of storage and fired, without going thru them. One of these took off from the pad, flew maybe 50' high and did a graceful arc into the ocean. We retrieved it with our 10-ton tow truck. We took our boots off but merely rolled our pant legs up a foot or so! The other one that had not been gone thru fired off in a normal way, headed down course, and went way farther than it supposedly had the capability of doing. It went out of range of the radar and as far as I know may still out in orbit somewhere! BTW, that was the coldest water I have ever been in! Benbecula is so far North that it never got dark the whole 3 months we were there. The sun would set, and a half hour later would rise! There was a beautiful beach on the island, so a few of us decided to go for a swim one Sunday, big mistake! We only went in about up to our Nuevo's, then quickly ran back to shore. It's a wonder that I was able to have any kids after that episode!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote