View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 12:06 PM   #6
flatheadfan

Default Re: '36 Ford Radiator removal

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
36tbird-

I am in the process of finishing-up the radiator replacement on my '36. I can't speak for others but I didn't find it particularly easy.

Before you do anything take some pictures of the hood gaps. You will need to remove the hood and the radiator rods and pictures make things easier when you reinstall things.

To remove the radiator I had to tilt it on a slight backwards angle to gain clearance for the radiator platform (measures 22.5 inches, the opening is 21 3/4"). I have a 221 '36 engine and found it necessary to remove the water pumps, generator, intake manifold end stud and the distributor in order to achieve the needed withdrawal angle. I suspect some of this might also pertain to a 59A. On yes, be sure to use cardboard between the engine block and the radiator. I did find that I could remove the radiator by myself.

Once everything is back in place you will need to re-align the grill and hood relationship. This I found time consuming. The radiator hood ornament is the key to the fitting.

Hope this helps.

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote