View Single Post
Old 10-14-2020, 12:45 PM   #11
rotorwrench

Default Re: Trick to remove OFF ON ignition plate

Drive screws or U-drive screws have been around since Christ was a corporal. They are used a lot in aviation to hold data plates on to all sorts of components. The smallest sizes are the 00 size which are 0.060" diameter pilot and a 3/32" pan type head. McMaster Carr and some of the rivet companies carry them in multiple different materials. Smaller ones may be available somewhere but I've not needed too many of the really small ones. If the hole goes all the way through then a rivet could be used.

I have a flush cutter tool with a thick set of jaws that I grab & twist them to turn them back out. Most of the stuff I use them on have a bottom to the hole they are set in so I can't drive them out. I've has to replace Lycoming engine data plates when performing STC alterations for high compression cylinder modifications and they require a new data plate to re-identify the type of engine. I use slow set JB Weld on the new drive screws to set them and give them a little better holding power. I blow the holes out with electrical contact cleaner and compressed air a few times before I set them back in.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote