View Single Post
Old 01-07-2021, 04:12 PM   #1
Henry Floored

Default Holley 4150 carburetor development history

Hey gang, thanks for having a look at my silly post. I’m more apt to post in the Early V8 section because that’s more of what I’ve been into over the years. But I’m dipping my toe in the water here and calling on your vast knowledge.

Anyhow I wonder if any of you can help color back into my memory the beginnings of the 4150 Holley carburetor. Some people call it the “Holley/Ford” carb.

In a discussion on another forum about iconic hot rod parts that have stood the test of time I offered the Holley 4150 as a Ford based contribution that really became the most popular and iconic carburetor in the U.S. racing scene.

I worked for Ford dealerships for a big part of my life and vaguely remember stories told about the origins of that epic carb design. I understood the story I heard that Ford engineers were intimately involved in the development of that carburetor along with Holley R & D.

I have read how much a part Ford engineering played a role in the later 4500 series “Dominator” designed for NASCAR racing so it’s logical that this was a common working relationship between the two companies.

If you know I’d love to hear what you have to say. I’ve searched the Internet and other than obvious design cues like accelerator pump circuits and power valves that were similar or identical to earlier Ford carbs I’ve not been able to get detailed history on how that all happened.

Thanks in advance. I realize this is not a specific technical problem I’m having with a car I’m working on but it might be a fun brain exercise just the same.

Thanks in advance!
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote