Thread: dumb questions
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2020, 02:04 AM   #2
Will D

Default Re: dumb questions

I'd have to respectfully disagree. I would have been just as bewildered as you to hear such a question but I don't think we can class it as dumb. If the guy knows nothing of cars and history his only option is to look it up or ask someone. Asking was the more readily available option at the time so he did so. Not knowing anything about cars his logical thinking may have been things start small and progress. Being an older car in his mind he may have been thinking 4 cyl were before 6's, 8's, and 12's. If the cylinder numbers progressed as time, logically it could be a 4 cyl based on year and the year the combustion engine came about. Don't get me wrong, to a car guy who has an ear and experience there's no way you would mistake a 4 cyl for a v8, but some others don't have that, as crazy as it sounds.

I used to always say common sense ain't so common anymore. But it's not entirely true. What is common sense to one is not to the other. Ones common sense is based off what is common to you or what you are accustomed to. If you've never been around something, how can you have the sense to understand or discern? This is where we fall back to logic and rational. These are not so common.... yet this is why we have one another, to broaden our understanding.
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)