View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 10:13 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Cylinder #4 Running Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
I remember there was an article in the Restorer many years ago (1970s?) where a detailed temperature test was done on a Model A engine. It was titled "Nothing Happens in No. 1 and 2".

Hi Ed, unfortunately there are many times where the editors accepted an article for print and the readership then accepts it as 'gospel' since it was printed in the national club magazine.

In theory, if the article was factual, it would seem the better location to install a pipe would either be into the side, -or rear of the cylinder head, ...and not the block.

Let me also add something for those to think about. A Model-T engine has no water pump to circulate/move the water, has smaller water jacket areas, and has a smaller cooling fan. With all of these shortcomings, a Model-T engine is never said to have cooling issues on #4 cylinder. So why is it that a Model-A engine supposedly has #4 cooling issues yet a T engine does not? Could it be that someone started that 'He said/She said" theory about #4 overheating, and because it seemed believable to the unknowing, others jumped onto the bandwagon until enough folks hears it and repeated it until it is now considered fact? Lord knows there are many other such similar myths such as Ford using up parts inventory until depleted, or used shipping crates for floorboards. I honestly believe the #4 overheating myth is similar to those other myths.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote