View Single Post
Old 05-20-2022, 12:05 AM   #23
Terry Burtz, Calif

Default Re: New Engine from Todd?

The only area that I feel we have a strong difference of opinion on is the machine work. In my past, I used a Model-A engine rebuilder that seemingly had as many failures with his engines as he had good ones. Not only did this negatively affect my business' credibility, -it was expensive for us to make good on his failures. The brutal reality was that our customers did not care that someone else (outside of my company) manufactured the component, -or did the work, ...as they expected ME to stand behind the workmanship that ultimately came thru my shop. Because of this alone, we no longer trust anyone else's workmanship on projects that our name is attached to. That is why we prefer to do the machine work on certain areas so the craftsmanship meets our standards. Nothing I am saying implies that your engines or components have Q/C issues. All I am saying is that for my customer's project, we choose to either verify or perform the machine work ourselves so the onus is on us if there is an issue.

Brent,

Thanks for your comments.

I know who your engine builder was and I'm so happy that you no longer use him because of the 50% failure rate you were obligated to warranty.

I will not mention your rebuilder's name, but you endorsed him in an earlier FordBarn post.

Regarding your machine work, I'm happy that you are now rebuilding Model A engines in-house.

Are your machines accurate to 4 decimal places?

Can you explain to FordBarn members how you verify that a Model A cylinder block is rebuildable?
Steve Becker at Bert's finds that 1 out of 12 engines are economically rebuildable and can be guaranteed.
How do you verify that the pan rail has not been machined in the past?
How do you verify that the upper deck is parallel to the pan rail?
How do you verify that the cylinders will be perpendicular to the pan rail?
How do you remove rust deposits from the water jacket?
How do you verify water jacket wall thickness?
How do you verify that there are no fatigue cracks in any of the parts?
What is your remedy for worn camshaft bearings?
Do you add material to restore original surfaces or do you remove material?

Your reply with answers to the above questions is very important.

What is the cost of a rebuilt engine from you and what is your guarantee?

All of these questions are very important for you to answer because it will help people make decisions about whether to have you or others rebuild an original engine or buy a "New Engine".

If you don't reply, people will have a hard time making a decision.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote