View Single Post
Old 05-27-2022, 03:50 AM   #9
KULTULZ

Post Re: Brakes - Wives Tales & Misconceptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNNN View Post

Is the quoted article referring to a special type of proportioning valve when it mentions the PDV, or is a PDV found in all proportioning valves? I ask this because I recently converted my '65 T-Bird to a dual reservoir using a specific '65-6 T-Bird kit/package from a company called ABS, and I've still got to do some adjustments on the proportioning valve (which came in the kit) and maybe the push rod to the master cylinder, too. Other than needing adjustments, the brakes, booster and proportioning valve seem to be working ok. Car is stopping fine (though the car isn't officially "back on the road" yet.)

Also, I thought the whole point of a dual reservoir system was to be able to stop the car (though with diminished braking power) when there is a leak. So is the proportioning valve with the PDV (that cuts off or reduces fluid to a leak) providing - in essence - a redundant function to the dual reservoir master cylinder?

Sorry if I'm missing something. I just want to make sure I cover all my bases as I finish up the brakes on my car. Thanks.
I can't find the PN on their site and they won't allow me to download their catalog.

Can you describe (or show a photo) of exactly what you bought?

A COMBINATION VALVE is a combination of two or more valves in one body. FORD did no go to COMBINATION VALVES until about 1972. Before that, all valve(s) were separate in-line (PDV (1967- ) - PPV - METERING and the PRESSURE RESIDUAL VALVE for the rear drum brakes (itself) was within the MC). This is what is causing the confusion. Your 65 BIRD has (had) a PPV - PROPORTIONING VALVE already on it. That's why I need to see exactly what they sold you.

A DUAL RESERVOIR MC may/will allow complete system failure w/o the PRESSURE DIFFERENTIAL VALVE used, although you are better with one that without (IMO).

The actual safety feature is within the MC itself (seperate pistons and seals)

Did you notice the MC you removed had one reservoir but two line outlets?

We should have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about ...

Last edited by KULTULZ; 06-04-2022 at 12:28 PM.
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote