Thread: voltage reducer
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2020, 11:42 AM   #16
dmsfrr

Default Re: voltage reducer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
. . .
If you are well versed with Ohms law, then you know when you change any one of the variables in basic electricity, it directly affects the other variables. Change the carrier voltage and you change the current draw. Higher voltage tends to decrease the current needed to function a load. This is why a 12-volt system can used smaller wire gauge. This is bound to change the current draw of the little heating coil on the bi-metallic strip. I would question the accuracy of the output of the sending unit.
. . .
Yes, when the voltage is increased the current needed to perform the same amount of 'work' is reduced by a corresponding amount. That's why wire for a 6v system is almost double oversized for the same system on 12v.
The rate at which the bi-metal sender contacts open and close may change but the heat-averaged result in gauge needle movement (created by a resistance coil) can be the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyleea View Post
I ordered a voltage reducer for my gauges. The T Bird set up might be different than my F100. Thanks
Having the new voltage reducer on-hand will save time if the gauges do need it. It will be interesting to hear your result.
It is noted on the bottom of the page at the T-Bird link that a voltage reducer (resistor) is sometimes needed.

Many parts were commonly shared between models for efficiency & reduced costs.
Even tho the 'truck' face-plate has a different appearance I would expect the hardware behind it is the same.
A different face-plate would have been a more acceptable solution for the ever-present Bean Counters than having a gauge setup with a different electrical design. Especially since '55 would be the last year for 6v.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 10-31-2020 at 07:46 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote