Thread: aviation gas
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 11:39 AM   #13
rotorwrench

Default Re: aviation gas

The Suplemental Type Certificate is still valid but a person has to purchase alcohol free auto gas to use it. The web site has the link to the stations around the country that are known to be alcohol free. Obviously, vapor pressure is very important for aircraft use. A person doesn't need vapor lock at altitude. The old engines that used 80/87 work just fine with the STC mogas as long as they follow the directions.

One of the helicpters I maintain has the HIO-360-D1A engine that has 10:1 compression. It was originally designated to use 100/130 green avgas but that stuff is almost non existant now days. The 100LL has a blend with a lower amount of Tetraethyl Lead (1.2 to 2 grams per gallon) but it still has a lot of TEL in there as was mentioned. It is actually blended in at a guaranteed level not to go below the lower amount specified for 100LL but is can have more and does vary in content within the range. My customers have gotten batches that caused lead fowling of the spark plugs so I know it is sometimes more than just minimum in there and may exceed 2 grams per gallon. Mogas never had as much TEL as 100LL for street use. Now days leaded auto gas is generally only used for racing or other off road use since no road taxes are added.

There are fuel police down here in Texas that keep an eye out for farm diesel being used on the street. They mostly just check diesel vehicles on a spot check basis but there is a possibility that they could catch a person using avgas too. It's not legal to use avgas on the street. You can carry it legally on the street in a properly marked tanks or containers but that's about it.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote