Thread: Light Question
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2020, 11:05 AM   #7
MikeK

Default Re: Light Question

On my '31 roadster I have have 6V amber fog lamps that are used as the front turn signals. My initial experience with them was that during daylight driving the forward and low projected amber driving beam gave little indication of being on when viewed at 45 degrees off-axis, as others would view them at an intersection. In a word, bright head on, very dim in appearance from the side, where you need it.

To remedy this I bought a set of the identical, but cheap 12V lamps and used a tile-cutter's diamond wet saw to remove the rear of the lamp, leaving only the amber lens. To make a wide-spread flood pattern visible off-axis at intersections all you need to do is feed a diffused, non-linear light source instead of the parallel focused beam from the glass parabolic reflector back that was removed.

I painted the inside of the housing with appliance white rattle-can, installed BA15D sockets (headlamp sockets) used 32/32cp 6V lamps and wired both filaments together, effectively giving a 64cp diffused light to the lens. Whopping bright daytime at any viewing angle, and if one of the two filaments 'blows' you still have a functional 32cp blinker until you replace the $2 bulb.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote