View Single Post
Old 05-04-2020, 04:40 AM   #10
Juggler

Default Re: Flywheel install tip

Yep he still has some good ideas. And some sketchy ones

We found that the timing gear was beginning to let go on the recently installed 'test' engine going into the long term '30 Roadster project. Couldn't get the well used cam nut spanner to get good purchase on the equally well used cam nut.

So he came up with this

IMG_0831

IMG_0835

So a finest quality Harbour Freight ratchet strap around the top of the block putting all sorts of tension on a tyre lever pivoting on the back of the front cross member onto a socket pinning the cam nut socket home. A quick smack on the end of the ring spanner with a 14lb 'mawl' (a sledge hammer he liberated from a Canadian tugboat once in in his care) had the nut loose

This one should definitely be on the 'Do Not Try This At Home' list. I've told him if he wants to see his 81st birthday in June he's going to have to stop making what is effectively a medieval crossbow in the conservatory. He was quite safe though. He stood well back and made me hit it.

Seriously folks, don't do this. I'm buying him a new cam nut spanner and a cordless impact wrench for his birthday....

Stay safe

Juggs
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote