View Single Post
Old 10-16-2019, 06:59 PM   #1
Dave36ford

Default Frame serial number to obtain a title?

Rather new here, tried to search but didn’t see what I was looking for so sorry in advance if this has been covered.

I just purchased a 30-31 roadster cowl and doors, planning to build a rpu. In the deal, the guy through in a frame. Figured I could use it for mock up or what not. I do not have a title for what I bought, just a notarized bill of sale.

Looking at the frame, the serial number is clear. Starts with a star, followed by 7 numbers then ends in a star. Using a chart I found on here, it was built in April 1931. Was thinking about trying to obtain a title for it? I could have the police run a vin search on it. I’ve tried to look online but all of the sites say the vin is invalid, thinking because it’s so old and not the ‘current’ format?

If a vin search comes up clean, notarized bill of sale and pencil tracing of the serial number, do I have a shot at a title? If so, can I get it while in pieces as a project car? I’d like to have this squared away before I go too far.

I’m in New Jersey. My original plan was to find an original rolling chassis with a title and then use my body. I’ve seen a few of them around for sale. But now curious if I can title this frame.
Dave36ford is offline   Reply With Quote