Thread: saving a bumper
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2021, 03:33 PM   #11
Mister Moose

Default Re: saving a bumper

As a data point my bumpers were original, flaking, and pitted. The plating estimate was also stupid high. I bought stainless bumpers for far less, and kept the old original ones in the barn "just in case". I can't win any blue ribbons at Hershey with it, but that's not my goal. The stainless bumpers, new in 1998, still look flawless.

Triple plating FYI refers to both the number of layers and the type. As far as I know the best plating is copper, followed by nickel, followed by chrome.

The plating company I used is well known and does a lot of restoration work. They did a fabulous job on bringing back the stainless radiator shell , cowl band and the headlights. (They did chrome the instrument panel, brake and shifter.)

Unfortunately chrome plating is not a DIY process on the scale of a 6 foot bumper no matter how much time you have.

If the previous owner painted the bumpers, it's very doubtful they were in very good shape. 20 minutes on a test patch with paint remover will tell you what you want to know.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote