View Single Post
Old 01-06-2021, 12:05 AM   #19
SAJ

Default Re: Bendix Drive Question??

Hi Doug. I hope you and Nan are staying safe from this awful virus. Diane Dave and Karen send their regards too. We will miss you at the Gisborne rally coming up soon.
I have done about 50000 miles with one bendix bolt breakage. I am now using bendixes in both our cars and keeping barrel drives under each seat as get-me -homes. So far I have used them on 3 tours on other members cars for broken bendixes and twice on ours to replace broken Indian barrel drives.
Higher compression seems harder on 6 volt starters. But some 12 volt guys using 6 volt starters say they have had no problems.
Benson, I have not seen a Weldon Bendix, only a Weldon barrel drive, which all the usual suppliers stock I think. Nkaminar showed the link to a Snyders one.
About yours failing in the driveway, Dave Mossman fitted a Weldon one while at the local suppliers and he just told me on the phone the previous one failed after only 50 miles and before he had paid for it! He recently had a USA Weldon one jam in the engaged position and took it apart with an angle grinder in our workshop to get it off the armature shaft. This was apparently my new spare one which we fitted at our rally in Te Anau in the South Island, and it broke in Gisborne a bit over 1000 miles north, while he was organising our next rally in Gisborne. He left the car there and brought the starter back here to investigate.
SAJ in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote