View Single Post
Old 02-18-2021, 09:05 PM   #10
borjawil

Default Re: Dana 44 gear swap help

Ran into a potential problem and have another question.

First the rear pinion bearing race (goes in the pumpkin) is the same part number as the one I removed. It's either not seating fully somehow, bearing hole is worn, or bearing race is defective. I can wiggle the new race into the hole about 1/2 way or so by hand and then use a driver to move it the rest of the way. But I can wiggle it out by hand...there's some grab to the meeting surfaces but definitely isn't tight like every other race I've ever had to seat. I'll see about fitting the old one and if there's the same feel and update. But was wondering if maybe I have two many shims behind it.

Which leads me to my next question, as I'm going by memory and don't remember 100%. There were two shims for sure behind this race. They were there when I went to clean out the diff today. I have a third one that I thought I remembered being in the space between the front and rear bearing races. Which doesn't make sense so I'd say it would have gone with the other two between the rear race and seat. It's possible it went behind the yoke/front side bearing but as far as I'm aware no shims go there, and I'm pretty sure it won't fit since that's a smaller diameter race seat.

I'm thinking that the race will be seat/held in place by the friction of it as is (can't turn it by hand when in the seat) and the pressure when yoke nut is torqued. But if this sounds like a recipe for disaster due to the race spinning in the seat then no obviously.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
borjawil is offline   Reply With Quote