View Single Post
Old 02-15-2021, 10:47 AM   #8
borjawil

Default Re: Dana 44 gear swap help

Got all my parts ordered now. Jeep cherokees use the -1x part numbered yolk. Got it for $20 shipped so I'll drill out the threaded holes to make it work.

I am not using a pinion depth gauge, but will be measuring the old shims on the pinion and reaching with new for a base line. When checking gear contact, should I set up the side to side of the ring gear first then setup my pinion shims for front to back contact?

I've read on using the old bearing and grinding out the center to slide on and off the new pinion for setup. Sounds like I'll install the shims, mock up bearing, then tighten the old nut on there until I have about 10-15 in/lbs of drag. Is that correct? Then once I have the correct contact, install the new bearing.

I'll have to double check in the crush sleeve, but if it is needed, from what I've found, I'll tighten until I have the proper new bearing drag of 20-30in/lbs. But I've also read that 150-200ft/lbs is the final specs for the nut. Helps clarifying this would be great. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
borjawil is offline   Reply With Quote