View Single Post
Old 11-30-2018, 08:25 PM   #6
Jim44

Default Re: 1936 truck references

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Ford sort of went by wheelbase on trucks in the early V8 years. Most of them had the same basic running gear and springs but had variations in road wheels and drive shafts. The two speed rear axles came along in 38 or so. Auxiliary springs were used on all but the 122" wheel base trucks clear up to 1947.

The year specific chassis parts catalogs or at least 32 thru 37 catalogs should have most of the differences in them if you weed them out. My 38 thru 41 Ford & Mercury chassis parts book has a lot of info for those years. The green bible or 28 thru 48 chassis parts book has a lot of info but less about the different models. It tends to only have the updated parts listings as of 1950 with no reference to obsolete parts.

The 1936 Ford truck reference book or owners manual has some useable info in it but it is likely somewhat limited. The truck owners instruction book for 1935 might even be better. They were a lot alike. The 32 thru 38 shop manual CD from Detroit Iron Information systems might be a good one. It has car and truck info.
Thanks for all the tips on literature. I have looked at much of it and kind of concluded that the main difference between the one ton, 1.5 ton, and heavier models was in the wheel and tire size specs. The dealer info sheet posted by don rogers was most helpful and will give me a read on what weights the last owner was hauling. As to other factory differences in body,frame, springs,etc., I am still in the dark. I will study my green bible some more and order a copy of the Detroit iron cd. My main interest at the moment is finding a supplier for interior parts, door panels, window regulators, etc. thanks again to everyone who offered suggestions. I will contact don rogers and see if he can email a copy of the sheet he posted as I have trouble enlarging it enough for careful study.
Jim44 is offline   Reply With Quote