View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 11:40 AM   #19
emf

Default Re: Any electronic experts out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Frank, Sounds like you have experience in automotive electical noise theory/design.
I am not familiar with automotive, but have experience with electrical and electronic noise testing/shielding/emissions/circuit design in electronics.

Since a car's noise in the A is a circuit completed by spark at the rotor and spark plug, does putting a ferrite core on the coil wire efficiently reduce electrical noise on the coil wire and plug leads?

Thanks
I have some experience... Worked for 30 yeas as an electronics engineer. Not sure if a core placed on the coil wire would work, since the high energy bursts are also picked up by the bare copper strips. They will most likely receive RF as well as transmit it. Modern wires are carbon core rather than copper for that reason. You could try it and see if it works, but the RF is generated in the distributor where the wires are.

On grounding, When I put LED tail lights on my roadster, they failed within two months. I sent them to United Pacific and they replaced them. They said they had most likely failed due to a high power surge. Looking at the mounting for the generator, I suspected that the ground was poor, since it is only grounded through a single bolt. I then placed a heavy ground strap from the generator case to the nearest engine bolt and they have not failed in 5 years. I know this doesn't prove the surge theory, but it's enough for me...

Frank
emf is offline   Reply With Quote