View Single Post
Old 03-09-2020, 12:48 PM   #853
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Human Gullibility and Stupidity triggered by Social Media.

16 million total deaths resulting from WW1. 50 million by Spanish flue, the year the war ended. One would have to acknowledge todays current corona19 as more sophisticated and serious. We are told a vaccine is minimally 24 months away. Despite efforts for the last 25 years a vaccine for AIDs and more recently Ebola hasn’t been produced. Can corona19 vaccine be only 24 months away?
Panic buying has started and it’s rampant. The supermarket shelves stripped of some commodities and I would think it is only the start. It may be difficult to believe but the biggest snatch from the shelves is toilet paper. (It seems it is more important to have a pristine anus than have a full tummy). People have been buying it by the multiple shopping trollies. There was a vicious cat fight in one supermarket when a woman took the entirety and left another woman with none. The appearance of these girls suggests to me they would never have known this product prior to coming to live in Australia. Like many things today it was captured on video and seen on national news. How did this rampant run start? An opinion on Social Media expressing a potential shortage, that’s how.
The second commodity that has becoming short is rice probably because it has a long shelf life and we all eat some rice and many more rice eaters have immigrated to Australia in the last 15 years. Only a short time ago Australia produced 1.8 million tons. This year it is forecast only 54,000 ton. (3 %). Why the difference you will ask and here it is. Firstly drought. Secondly to appease the Green Party and noisy green protesters by providing a continual flow of fresh water from 2 dams to keep the Murray River pristine. Enforced by legislation. This continual flow also keeps the large Lake Alexandrina full and provides recreation and tourism for the South Australian town of Goolwa. Then it flows into the Southern Ocean. It’s nonsense and stupidity.
The government also legislated to allow farmers to sell their water allocation. Those without forethought and imagination did so. So with our 3rd year of near empty dams there will be nil allocation once again. Those who have retained their licence will probably need to sell it to pay their rates and feed their families. An allocation doesn’t mean it can be delivered and if it can’t payment for this licence is still demanded by the issuer, the government.
Who has purchased this water, this allocation? Politicians and celebrities, overseas superannuation funds and investors. None has land. Irrigation may well become a past industry on the Murray which was once Australia’s food bowl.
And for those of us who can no longer find toilet paper on the supermarket shelf it will be back to gum leaves just like years ago. And then it will be not only the coronavirus to that sends us to the hand basin.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote